Saturday, June 5, 2010

No news is good news- right?? Things have been crazy lately. Matt is back at work full force, and Matthew keeps me busy. I am getting more used to Matthew's new schedule and I'm happy to say that I am much more efficient at drawing his meds. He is tolerating everything really well. I am enjoying each minute with him as he continues to get stronger each day and loves to have one on one play time with Mom.

We had a doctor's appointment on Friday and found out that the pericardial effusion they've been keeping tabs on through echo is now shrinking and his labs looked perfect. We have another appointment scheduled for Monday, Tuesday, and another biopsy scheduled for Friday. In the meantime they have given us some new rules: Matthew cannot go anywhere public (including church, movies, restraunts, grocery stores, and even extended family gatherings), our other children should not have friends over to play, when our children get home from friends they need to strip down and scrub in to enter the house- etc. So basically what we have been doing is walking around our house with masks on. We have been going for drives in the car to get out (by the way, I get some pretty bizarre looks when seen driving with a mask on in the car) and I take Matthew to some unpopulated location to go for walks outside with him. I know, it's crazy! They are telling us that for these next 4-6 months Matthew needs to be in isolation. A few adult visitors at a time are okay to have over, but other than that.... nothing until they start weaning his anti-rejection meds. As it is right now, he basically has no immune system. He is on 3 different immune suppressants and then on antibiotics and other meds to protect him from any virus, fungus, etc he may be susceptible to. That's okay-- Matthew is worth it!! I sure hope Luke and Josh agree when they get home!

Overall, we feel VERY blessed! The past 3 weeks still feel like a blur. Last night when going to sleep I went to get my cell phone to put on my nightstand in case we got the "transplant" call in the middle of the night (mostly out of habit). Then I realized we already got the call and that Matthew was already home and recovering beautifully. Things are good...

3 comments:

  1. WOW! Definitely a new way of life for the next few months, and I agree that he is SOOO worth it! Thank you for the update, and I am grateful things slowed down to the "no news- good news" status.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad things are going well. What a handsome little guy.
    Jenni Carlson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Matt and Chrissy,

    Little Matthew is so cute and I am so glad that he is doing so well. Let me know if there is anything that I can do for you. You have been in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for the updates.

    xoxo
    Heidi Cooper

    ReplyDelete